With generous support from our partners (The Port of Houston Authority, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and the Houston Pilots), the Department of Transportation of Studies offers scholarships to qualified students pursuing the Bachelor of Science degree in Maritime Transportation Management and Security. Scholarship awards may include payment assistance for tuition, fees, and/or books per semester.
Complete the online application below and email the required supplemental documents (2 letters of recommendation and unofficial transcript) to TSUMaritime@gmail.com by the deadline.
Note: To apply for 1 or all 3 of the scholarships, please complete only 1 online application. TSU Officials will determine the scholarship award for each qualified student.
Port of Houston Authority Scholarship
In 2010,TSU partnered with the Port of Houston Authority to create an academic program to address the workforce challenges of the Maritime industry. Scholarships in support of the partnership are available.
Amount of Scholarship: Up to $4K per academic year based on GPA.
2.5 – 2.9 = $2K per academic year
3.0 and above = $4K per academic year
The scholarship is supported with funds from the Port of Houston Authority.
U.S. Department Homeland Security Scholarship
TSU received a Scientific Leadership Award (2015- 2016) grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The highly competitive award goes to accredited Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to build Homeland Security Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (HS-STEM) initiatives.
Scholarships are available to qualified students to support the initiatives of the grant.
Amount of Scholarship: Up to $6K per academic year
GPA Requirement: 3.3 or above
Must be a U.S. Citizen to receive scholarship.
The scholarship is supported with funds from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Houston Pilots Scholarships
The Houston Pilots Scholarship is for students majoring in Maritime Transportation Management and Security at TSU.
Amount of scholarship: Up to $500 per academic year.
GPA Requirement: 2.5 and above.
Other Requirement: Given to first time freshmen or transfer students only.
The scholarship is supported with funds from the Houston Pilots.
- Application Deadline: April 21, 2017
- Review of Scholarship Applications: April 24-28, 2017
- Interviews Conducted (if necessary): May 1-5, 2017
- Award notifications sent to students: May 8-12, 2017
- Students Confirm Acceptance of Scholarship: May 15-19, 2017
- Must have at the time of application a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 GPA scale (Note: 2.5 – 2.9 GPA = $2K; GPA > 3.0 GPA= $4K; FOR DHS SCHOLARSHIP GPA must be > 3.3)
- Must apply for admission and be admitted to TSU before awarded the scholarship
- Must select Maritime Transportation Management and Security as major
- Maintain GPA requirements each semester during the duration of the scholarship
- Must submit completed application form by the deadline
- Must submit two (2) typed letters of recommendation (one must be from a teacher/professor, counselor, or principal on school letterhead)
- Must submit unofficial high school or college transcript
- Must be able to legally work in the United States at the time of application and after college graduation
- Must submit a one (1) page typed essay (500 -1000 words) addressing the following:
“How Will the Maritime Transportation Scholarship Impact Your Education and Prepare You for a Career in the Maritime Industry?”
For information regarding the application and scholarship, contact Mrs. Williams, Maritime Program Coordinator/Visiting Instructor at 713.313.4394 or email@example.com.